Sunday, June 1, 2008

No politics please, we are entrepreneurs

I caught up with Robin of Envisage Reality on Thursday afternoon to discuss about a new project his company is working on at the moment which he hopes would encourage and empower local game developers, and on his end, in helping his own company expand exponentially. Things are still very much in the preliminary stage but are looking good and on track.

As we chatted and caught up, we broached onto the topic of service to society and he commented on whether I would consider serving the country in a political capacity, and was surprised when I said I honestly doubt I will ever consider contributing in such an arena. My take is relatively simple, I contribute a lot better with my two hands than my mouth or my words. Additionally, in politics, it would be a near-impossible battle to perform my duties based on my guiding principles which are at times, abhored by my fellow countrymen. These would be:
  1. Pro-Life: The protection of life in all its stages, from the first moment of conception to natural death. In Singapore, abortion is fully legalized and will not be going anywhere anytime soon.
  2. Pro-Family: The recognition and promotion of the natural structure of the family -- as a union between a man and a woman based on marriage -- and its defense from attempts to make it juridically equivalent to radically different forms of union which in reality harm it and contribute to its de-stabilization, obscuring its particular character and its irreplaceable social role. In Singapore, alternative lifestyle groups are growing and gaining support from the public.
  3. School-Choice: The protection of the right of parents to educate their children. In recent years, there has been progress on this aspect, and I am glad for it.
While I will not be able to actively pursue the realization of these principles at-large in the capacity of a public figure, I believe that by doing my part in improving the economical well being of my fellow countrymen, be they fellow entrepreneurs, charities or individuals living below the poverty line that I may assist in getting them up and running, I may inspire them to do as I do and to help others as I have helped them.

On a lighter note, I am finally able to get to grips on knowing what I am actually doing on a daily basis by using Twitter as my makeshift timesheet, time flies...

No comments: