Friday, June 6, 2008

Kaspersky Anti Virus + Mozilla Thunderbird + IMAP = Big Problems

I just uninstalled my Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0 software after having found that even after turning off the mail scanning function, it still interfered with the moving of emails from one IMAP account to another in Mozilla Thunderbird. Even after following their proposed solution it still did not work.

Previously if I left the mail scanning function on, it prevented me from using the Offline -> Download/Syncronise now function by continually downloading data that never ends, and that never gets any messages down in the end (From my firewall software, I saw that over 10 Gigs was downloaded from an IMAP account with just 600 Megs of mails).

After turning off the mail scanning function, the Offline -> Download/Syncronise function works but moving large messages from one IMAP account to another just gives the same problem of never ending downloads/re-uploads.

Simply put, I put in AVG Free an hour ago and everything's working fine and useful information for anyone wanting to figure out which antivirus plays nice with Mozilla Thunderbird.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the article! I thought I was the only one out there that had this problem, good riddence to kaspersky!

Anonymous said...

We just has a virus in our Thunderbird database, and Kaspersky couldn't delete the individual email- it had to delete the ENTIRE database to rid the virus. It was a huge database with lots of important info that (stupidly) I had not backed up. My wife is still grieving.