Monday, February 2, 2009

How to say goodbye


The Actual (better) MTV here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk5K-eTTkfM&NR=1

A week back, I was asked why do I write about my personal life on this blog; it was said (as quoted from a friend of mine) to be "unbecoming" of a professional Venture Capitalist to look weak, even unprofessional.

My reply was simple. Like any of my startups, we are all living, breathing humans. We have our faults, our flaws and our problems unlike the glorified and oft-glossed image of "entrepreneurs" that have all the time in the world to party, blog and live the high life. My startups and myself have bore the pain of problems in family finances, the anguish and pain in our relationships, the emptiness when hope and passion wanes. Yet we all soldier on, some of us falling along the sidelines at times, some others giving up in despair.

So why the topic of "Saying Goodbye"? More often than not, we always welcome new beginnings and the wonderful hopes that comes along with it (like now in the Chinese New Year) but we neglect to look at the endings, to learn, to close and to move on. It is with this intention that I hope to remind us to look upon our endings in a different light, and with renewed hope for the future, both in our ventures and in our lives. Have a very Happy Chinese New Year ahead!

PS. For the 3 startups graduating in the coming months from Azione Capital, this is for you.

No comments: