Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Leading by example



Some of my peers within the industry scoffed at my idea of living within my means, and in the continuing efforts to impress that same spirit onto my portfolio startups, saying that living large is "essential".

The rise of pseudo-entrepreneurship, and the latest bubble (in my view) of "Social Entrepreneurship" as defined and run by intellectuals is a growing worry, where the basic tenets of entrepreneurship of value creation, working within one's constraints and the respect of business ethics is rapidly being eroded by cunningly worded arguements in order to justify one's undeserving existence. Think "Animal Farm".

Having a servant leader that truly leads by example, that is a key lesson that I hope businesses would learn from this recession.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well said Nicholas and 100% agree that start-ups shouldn't be overly agressive on their pay packets until the results are in. I think this recession will wed out the wannabes as it usually does. Cheers!