Sunday, January 18, 2009

Fiction is sometimes truer than fact

I dreamt up an entire fable lividly while sleeping in this Sunday after working late in the office yesterday on a contract format for a new startup and a technical paper to be used to bid for a government project. For posterity sake, I am documenting whatever I remember of the story here; I can't recall the earlier parts of the dream before this fable.

The vivid part of the dream started with this german chap telling a story. Saying that he normally carries a backpack filled with mixed seeds "to maximize collaboration within nature" or something to that effect, of which he scatters them along his way to school (or was it work?) but he always never scatters any into a particularly rocky path he passes, only scattering at the ground just before and after the rocky path.

One day, he noticed that a shoot, something like a bougainvilla sprouting out from the furthermost corner of the rocky path. Not possible he said to himself, the rocks are barren. Yet as the days pass, the shoots sprouted and grew further into the rocky path. Without complaint and without pain, the bougainvillas grew out from the rocks, clearing a path for other plants to grow, of which they did slowly and steadily, eventually converting the entire rocky path into a lush greenland.

It was around here where I woke up. Somehow this parable put into my dream gave me insight into what I am doing and facing at the present, perhaps it might do the same for you.

1 comment:

Victor said...

Reminds me of an old Chinese saying.

有心栽花花不开 (Have the desire to grow flowers but they won't blossom)
无心插柳柳成荫 (Not wanting to plant willows but they turn into shades)

Thanks for the very vivid and encouraging dream =)